NaNoNire

A blog completely dedicated to Nire's yearly attempts at NaNoWriMo. Watch the insanity unfold.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

Ten years and more than a hundred additional pounds later, I'm back riding again.

In addition to my weekly riding lesson, I spend a lot of time surfing the internet, reading books, and writing my own.

Friday, October 07, 2005

Helpful Links, Anyone?

Here's a couple writing links that I've dug up from various places that I'm sure people will find helpful.

Copyright
What are the copyright laws? How can you use copyrighted material? How could you be breaking the copyright laws? Holly at NaNoNuts2005 givs us the low-down.

Previously Published?
What sort of rights are there? What happens when you post things somewhere on the internet? What is considered previously published and what isn't? Holly provides a simple explanation of publishing rights.

Publishing
Here's a writer's look into what happens between signing the contracts and actually seeing your book on the shelves. Maybe not relevent at the moment, but hopefully for some by the end of NaNoEdMo.

A Writer's Toolkit
This link takes you to a PDF file that guides you through the writing process. It's an part of a class assignment, I would assume, so some of the parts are less than 100% necessary. Give it a look-see.

Method Writing
How many times have you read a book and said "What the hell? Real people wouldn't do that!"? Mike Shea believes that this is caused by excessively plot-focused writing, by outlining and forcing your characters to do what they want. He proposes a solution: the writing equivalent of method acting.

Don't Suck!
While this article seems to be aimed at journalists, a lot of Gareth's tips on how NOT to suck apply to novel-writing, too. I recommend at least skimming the article for the relevent parts.

That's it for today. Enjoy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nire said...

Yeah, I was one of those people. A few years ago I began writing stories specifically to publish, then posting them online for feedback.

Come a couple months later, when I'm finally satisfied with how they've turned out and am reading to try getting them published somewhere, I found out that I can't. At least, not for first rights.

So I'm all for linking to places that will help others avoid making the mistakes I did.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home